Wednesday 19 November 2014

Days 9-12


Day 9

Off to Masaka, this is the nearest town to Kamutuuza. I bought sweets for the children plus presents for the sponsor children. I bought the sponsor children story books one in English and one in Lugandan. I bought some beautiful material for Prossy to make me a gomesi - a traditional African dress. She had asked Doreen McGraa if she had any sewing for her, so I asked her to make me a gomesi. The sights in the town were a very different experience to the village. Everywhere we went he heard the word ‘Muzungu’, which means white person’. There was great excitement when we were in town as a lady had been caught stealing condensed milk. She was taken away in a police van!

 
 
 
 
Shops and market stalls in Masaka



When we got back I took the material to Prossy’s house in the village. I then helped sort the clothes into age groups which we had brought from England. The head teacher, Mary brought me replies to the children’s letters I’d brought from Church Drive and the key for the library to sort out the books and resources from the container that had arrived from England. For tea I was brought a present of grasshoppers. They were very crunchy! 
 
 
Day 10 (Sat)
Firstly I planned lessons for school on Monday. Then spent most of the day sorting out the library! In the evening I organised games for the children in Evelyn’s home.
 
 
 
Day 11
Not feeling well today – cold symptoms. Still got up for church at
7 a.m. followed by Sunday School. A quick cup of tea then back to the village church service. After lunch I had a little nap before the 
2 p.m. teenager’s service. In the afternoon Joseph and Allen came with some friends to talk about the work they do with the villagers and expressed their concern about the ‘witch doctors.’ I had an early night!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Day 12
Felt much better. Taught in school. The head teacher came to watch me teach a Maths lesson for a bit. After school I continued to sort the library. I tried to match teaching materials to the different age groups in English and Maths. I also sorted out a complete reading scheme into different levels, which was no mean feat as they were all mixed up! Managed to finish sorting the library and even labelled the shelves.
 

                                                   Before!!
 
 
                                                      After
 
 
 
Sharon the matron of Evelyn’s Home brought me some Matooke and ghee nuts for tea. Matooke looks like bananas but when cooked tastes like potato.
 
 

 
 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment